Five more tips to simplify the season
- on December 2, 2010
1. Decrease the stress of shopping.
• Shop weekdays instead of weekends.
• Shop earlier or later in the day.
• Skip malls, department, or discount stores if you don’t like crowds or standing in lines.
• Try online or catalog shopping.
• Avoid shopping the day after Thanksgiving.
2. Put some advance planning into the shopping.
• Make a list of what you need to buy.
• Know your destinations and strategically plan your stops.
• Make some phone calls in advance.
3. Consider buying the same thing for more than one person.
• Consider choosing a theme for the year.
• Give the gift of your time.
• Make a voucher for a home-made dinner and an evening to share it.
• Give your older neighbor a certificate for a few hours of yard work help.
• Take a friend for lunch.
4. Remember a gift is simply that.
• A gift should not be meant to communicate to others your entire feelings about them, tied up with a bow.
5. Be environmentally friendly.
• Buy products with minimal packaging.
• Recycle wrappings from previous years.
• Shop locally and support small businesses and craftsmen.