A Healthy Mouth For Your Baby
- on June 15, 2011
Your baby's teeth are important! Children need healthy teeth to help them chew, speak clearly, and hold space for adult teeth. Here are five key things for helping keep your baby's mouth healthy:
- Protect your baby's teeth with fluoride: We offer fluoride varnish treatments and children with Medicaid / HealthWave can get fluoride varnish treatments three times a year.
- Check and clean your baby's teeth: Check your baby's teeth and clean them as soon as they come in with a clean, soft cloth or a baby's toothbrush. If you notice any stains or spots on your baby's teeth, take your baby to a dentist.
- Feed your baby healthy food: Choose foods without a lot of sugar in them. Save cookies and other treats for special occasions.
- Don't put your baby to bed with a bottle: Milk, formula, juice and other drinks such as soda will have sugar in them. If sugary liquids stay on your baby's teeth too long, it can lead to tooth decay. Avoid putting your baby to bed with a bottle, but if you must, fill it only with water.
- Take your child to the dentist by age 1: Your child should have a dental visit by his or her first birthday. A first time visit will normally consists of an exam by the dentist and a fluoride varnish treatment if your child allows it