Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department intern Bonnie Erickson organized a “Holiday Dessert Makeover Contest” for the staff as part of Fall Wellness Week at the department. The goal was to make the desserts healthier by cutting down on sugar, fat and/or calories.
There were eight entries:
• Chocolate cake — submitted by Trish Unruh.
• Carrot cake — Brenda Hawkins.
• Pumpkin cookies — Bonnie Erickson.
• Spritz cookies — Karen Flanders.
• Quinoa peanut butter chocolate chip cookies — Vince and Samantha Romero.
• German Apple Cake — Charlie Bryan and Jennifer Ng.
• Toasted Oat Marshmallow Treats — Chris Tilden.
• Strawberry Cheesecake — Alicia Erickson.
The entries were taste-tested and voted on by staff members. While all of the recipes were delicious and healthier their usual counterparts, there were a few that stood above the rest.
To find out the contest winners and for all of the recipes, visit the health department's website and click on the story "Health department staff gives holiday desserts a makeover."