Encore Café- finding ways to preserve Asian flavors while trimming the fat
- on June 20, 2012
One of the perks of working with LiveWell EatWell is the chance to taste wonderful food that looks as beautiful as it tastes. I was impressed when talking with Wanna Zho, co-owner of Encore Café, of her desire to offer authentic Asian food with health in mind. Some of the great choices at the Encore Café include:
- Fruit smoothies made with real food. No sugar or fat added.
- Vietnamese spring rolls that are naturally low in fat and sodium.
- In your Bento box meal you can choose an entree with steamed brown rice and fresh fruit.
- Vegetables are steamed before added to dishes to reduce the fat. You get less fat but still great flavor when combined with other ingredients.
- Fat free desserts-Fruit salad and fat free Mango Sorbet
There are not many restaurants where you will find bok choy, cabbage, broccoli, pineapple, carrots, mushrooms, mango and more on the menu. There is no kid's menu with chicken fingers and fries. At the Encore Café kids share what their parents are eating or the staff can suggest options for picky eaters.
Now for the taste test, my coworkers at the health department were happy to help sample all the dishes from the Encore Café. The Chicken Lettuce wraps and Szechwan green beans were a particular hit.
The Vietnamese Spring rolls were light with the wonderful flavors of mango and cilantro. The Szechwan Green Beans were just the right amount of spice with the tender beans. Seaweed salad was a new dish for me. The flavors were subtle and the beautiful green shimer of the salad made me eager to taste it.
The Choose My Plate campaign talks about making half you plate fruits and vegetables, why not make it all vegetables with the appetizing Mixed Veggies with broccoli, water chestnuts, carrots, green peppers and celery.