Lawrence Community Bike Ride set for July 20
- on June 12, 2013
LiveWell Lawrence encourages residents to participate in the third annual Lawrence Community Bike Ride on Saturday, July 20, at The Rotary Arboretum by the YSI Sports Complex, 4911 W. 27th St.
“This event is free and a great opportunity for families to enjoy bicycling in a safe and fun environment,” said Chris Tilden, LiveWell Lawrence member and Community Health Director at the Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department.
There are three rides to choose from and they all travel along the South Lawrence Trafficway bike path, a paved surface that is a “car-free” environment:
• Ten-mile ride. It begins at 8 a.m. and travels near I-70 and back.
• Three-mile family ride. It begins at 8:30 a.m. and goes to the Clinton Lake Overlook and back.
• One-mile easy loop. It’s available anytime between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. and circles around the arboretum.
Other activities from 8 a.m.-11 a.m. include:
• A Training Wheel Takeoff. Experts will help children who are ready to take off their training wheels in a safe and fun environment.
• Safety Zone. Safe Kids Douglas County will help outfit children with helmets and other safety gear while supplies last along with providing cycling safety tips for kids of all ages.