'Depression Cure' author to speak at WorkWell Lawrence symposium on Sept. 10
- on August 29, 2014
Stephen Ilardi, a nationally-recognized expert on depression and a University of Kansas researcher, will be the keynote speaker at the fourth annual WorkWell Lawrence Symposium. The symposium will be from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Sept. 10 at the Holiday Inn Hotel and Convention Center, 200 McDonald Drive.
Given that adults spend about half of their waking hours on the job, worksites provide an optimal opportunity to initiate and support a healthy lifestyle. Such initiatives may include offering a Community Supported Agriculture program, providing bicycle racks and healthy vending options, or implementing a smoke-free tobacco policy. The WorkWell Symposium will provide an opportunity for employees and employers to learn about wellness strategies that work.
Ilardi, author of “The Depression Cure,” will talk about six lifestyle elements that help prevent and fight depression, a mental illness that affects one in four adults in any given year. Those lifestyle elements are: exercise, a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids, adequate sunlight exposure, healthy sleep, enhanced social connection and anti-ruminative activities.
“We have an epidemic of mental illness,” Ilardi said. He believes the increase is a result of our lifestyles. “We were never designed for the sedentary, indoor, socially-isolated, sleep-deprived, fast-food laden, frenzied pace of modern life,” he said.
• 7:30-8:30 a.m. — Registration and breakfast
• 8:30-8:40 a.m. — Welcome
• 8:40-8:50 a.m. — Opening remarks and LiveWell Lawrence video
• 8:50-9:50 a.m. — Speaker Paul Atchley, KU professor and director of the cognitive psychology program. Topic: “Nature: The Technology Cure.”
• 9:50-10 a.m. — Lawrence Parks and Recreation exercise moment
• 10-11 a.m. — Panel discussion on trends in healthy foods at work. Panelists include: Laurie Comstock, KU Endowment Association; Tim Laurent, City of Lawrence Parks and Recreation Department; and Jerrod Soza, Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
• 11-11:15 a.m. — Health break
• 11:15 a.m.-12:30 p.m. — Keynote speaker Stephen Ilardi
The symposium is open to the public. Advance registration is $40. After Sept. 8, it will be $50. For more information or to register, visit livewelllawrence.org.