Why Running for Food, Running for Health? WHY NOT?
- on July 3, 2012
Some of you might be asking your self, why would I run the Running for Food, Running for Health 5k Fundraising run on July 28. My question is, why not? Here are some common thoughts on why you wouldn't participate -- and the reasons why you should!
- “I’m not a runner” – Oh, no problem! Being a “runner” is not for everyone. We encourage absolutely ANYONE to run, jog, run-walk, walk-jog, or skip the certified 3.1-mile course. We will cheer as hard for the first person to cross the finish line as the last. Finishing a 5k is a gratifying accomplishment!
- “I’ve never run a 5k before” – It’s FUN! I ran my first organized race last August and learned that it’s not about competition. It’s about being with your community and achieving something together. It’s about supporting an organization or cause that you truly believe in. It’s about having a goal to motivate yourself for months leading up to it. Make this your FIRST 5k, I bet it won’t be your last!
- “No, I’m REALLY not a runner” – PERFECT!!!!! We still need over 25 volunteers to help with race day! Plus, volunteers receive a goodie-bag on race day as a token of our appreciation. Contact me if you are interested.
- “It’s HOT!” – Don’t we know it. But at 7:30 am, on a shady course, it’s really not bad. Plus, you’ll be able to get out there early and enjoy the lake, pool, or air conditioning when the temps get high.
- “My closet is overflowing with t-shirts and I don’t want another one!” – I know the feeling!! HOWEVER, I am genuinely looking forward to adding this shirt to my collection. It’s cute and funny!
- “I live in Hawaii” – Lucky duck! If any of you want to support our project from a distance, you can donate online here
So, sign up today! This is our first 5k fundraising race and we are really looking forward to it! It’s a new opportunity to connect another aspect of a healthful lifestyle with our project. We will have wonderful post-race festivities including a build-you-own sandwich bar, garden tours, live music, raffle prizes, and a student-run farmers market. Please spread the word to anyone who you think will be interested!
Click HERE for more information! Like how to sign up!!