News

Number of tick-related illnesses rises in Douglas County

Ten times the number of tick-related illnesses in the area were reported this June than in June 2012, according to the Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department.

And the hotter it gets, the more reports there are likely to be.

“We are just seeing a significant number of more cases,” said Shirley Grubbs, communicable disease nurse with the health department.

Ticks can usually be found in tall grasses and bushes. They latch on to people walking by, and could cause Lyme disease, which can cause a skin rash and arthritis symptoms, Ehrlichiosis, with symptoms like muscle aches and fatigue, and Tularemia, which can result in stiffness, eye irritation and shortness of breath, all according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Grubbs said there has been an increased number of Rocky Mountain spotted fever, which could cause symptoms like headaches, nausea and abdominal pain.

This June, 20 cases of tick-borne illnesses in Douglas County were investigated by the local health department.

Ticks usually attach themselves to the under arms, around the waist, behind knees, between legs, inside belly buttons and in hair.

Here are some suggestions from the Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department on how to avoid an infection:

• Stay away from wooded and bushy areas.

• Cut your grass.

• Wear light-colored clothing in order to see the ticks more clearly.

• Tuck pant legs into socks or boots and wear long-sleeved shirts buttoned at the wrist.

• Use repellents containing at least 20 percent DEET for those ages 2 and older.

• Shower within two hours after returning indoors.

• Conduct tick checks every four to six hours for several days after being in tick-infested areas.

• Remove the ticks as quickly as possible; ticks must be attached for 24 hours before illnesses can occur.

To remove ticks, the health department recommends using tweezers and pulling with even pressure. After removal, clean the area and your hands with soap and water. If symptoms like rash, fever, headache, joint or muscle pains appear, contact a doctor.

Comments

kernal 1 year, 1 month ago

And, wear a hat because it's really hard to get a tick out of your scalp by yourself

xclusive85 1 year, 1 month ago

Kernal, my grandpa taught me a trick a long time ago. To remove a tick, cover it in liquid dish soap. The tick will back out on it's own because it's oxygen is cut off!

LogicMan 1 year, 1 month ago

How long until it does?

I've heard of petroleum jelly used the same way.

I remember someone using a just blown-out matchhead. The heat made the tick back out.

Success 1 year, 1 month ago

I've been working in the garden a lot lately. I am covered with what appears to be chigger bites in all the locations of my body identified in this article and then some. Because my work has involved digging out Bermuda grass roots and bind weed my muscles and joints hurt. I can't see any ticks on my body but wonder if all the aches and pains come from the strenuous work or from missing ticks when I examine my skin as I shower after becoming covered with soil from crawling around the garden.

LogicMan 1 year, 1 month ago

"if all the aches and pains"

Or you too are just getting old, etc.?

xclusive85 1 year, 1 month ago

LogicMan, I don't know if this is going to post in the correct spot. I actually just did this on my dog a couple of days ago. She had a tick on her ear. It took between 30 seconds and a minute for the tick to come out.

LogicMan 1 year, 1 month ago

Thanks. That's much faster that I thought. I'll give it a try the next time.

jhawk1998 1 year, 1 month ago

Not at all surprised. The county and/or health care providers underreport these initial breakouts and then we end up with a much larger outbreak. If they just released information early on when illnesses arise citizens would have the opportunity to take more precautions.

Peannejeggy 1 year, 1 month ago

I've gotten bad chigger bites this summer. I keep my yard trimmed and debris cleared, but still they found a way. I'm now fighting a three week allergic reaction of a bad rash. Been to the doctor twice --- sure enough they say this part of the country just gets hit bad by these types of bugs. Make sure to wear deet bug spray and cover up if it's not too hot. God willing, I don't get bit again.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.