Go-Getter: Try yoga
Monday, March 18, 2013
Work, school and children can be stressful year-round. Yoga is one of many healthy ways to relieve that stress, and it’s affordable.
Whether it’s a new experience or not, yoga is a beneficial hobby for people from all walks of life.
How to get started
Many yoga facilities offer beginner courses. If you’d rather start at home, following along to a yoga instructional video on YouTube might be for you.
To learn more about the different types of yoga, check out the Go! story “Strike a pose: Yoga practices available for wide variety of interests, skill levels."
Tips for class
- Wear comfortable clothing.
- Don’t overdress or wear heavy perfume.
- Do not overeat beforehand.
- Show up 15 minutes early to warm up.
- Bring water, a mat and a towel. Some places have mats available for rent.
Free to $150 per month
Where to go
- Bikram Yoga College of India, 711 West 23rd St., has at least two classes a day, excluding Sundays. Bikram offers a variety of pricing options; for example, one class for students and adults is $18. A monthlong membership with unlimited classes is $135 for students and $150 for adults. For a complete list of prices and to sign up, go to bikramyogaks.com.
- The Yoga Center of Lawrence, 920 Massachusetts St., offers nine-week sessions ranging from $80 to $108. They include introductory, prenatal and ageless/gentle classes. To see a schedule of classes or sign up, go to yogacenteroflawrence.org.
- West Side Yoga, 4935 Research Parkway, offers at least two classes a day, excluding Saturdays. They have a variety of classes, including senior, yogic breathing and meditation yoga classes. West Side Yoga offers a free yoga meditation class at 7:30 p.m. Mondays. Other classes cost $15 for adults and $12 for seniors and students per session. A month-long membership of unlimited classes is $50 for everyone. To see a class schedule and to sign up, go to westsideyogalawrence.com.
- Punch Boxing and Fitness, 4931 West Sixth St., has yoga classes on Thursdays and Sundays. A monthly membership for all classes is $59 for adults and $35 for students. The first class is always free. A list of classes and sign-ups are at punchboxingandfitness.com.
- Find more yoga studios and instructors at LawrenceMarketplace.com.