Community events to mark Sexual Assault Awareness Month
Tuesday, March 25, 2014
To mark Sexual Assault Awareness Month, Lawrence-based GaDuGi SafeCenter has a variety of activities planned in the community. The center acknowledges that this is a difficult issue to talk about but hopes these events and presentations will make that conversation a little bit easier. The events include:
• LUNAFEST: Thursday, April 3 at 7 p.m. at Liberty Hall, 644 Massachusetts St. Tickets are $10 and $7 for students. This series of short films by, for, and about women is hosted by GaDuGi SafeCenter, the Willow Domestic Violence Center and the Kansas Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence. All proceeds will go to the sponsoring agencies and to breast cancer research.
• Real Talk presents “It’s Complicated: Healthy LGBTQ Dating & Enthusiastic Consent”: Saturday, April 5 at 1 p.m. at the Lawrence Queer Youth Voice drop-in center (Penn House, 1035 Pennsylvania St.) The Real Talk sex ed program hosts the Kansas City Anti-Violence Project to explore healthy sexuality and consent in LGBTQ relationships.
• Sexual Violence in the Heartland: Thursday, April 10 at 7 p.m. at the Union Pacific Depot, 402 N. Second St. Join community members for an interactive discussion about sexual violence and how you can make a difference for the lives of survivors.
• Human Trafficking 101: Thursday, April 17 at 7 p.m. at the Union Pacific Depot, 402 N. Second St. Learn more and get involved in GaDuGi SafeCenter’s new human trafficking initiatives.
• TCBY/Mrs. Fields, 845 Massachusetts St., proceeds go to support GaDuGi SafeCenter: Every Monday in April from 6-8 p.m.