Red shoe walk/run to support Willow Domestic Violence Center
- on April 19, 2011
The Willow Domestic Violence Center is having its first “Walk a Mile In Her Shoes: Red Shoe Walk and 5K” fundraiser.
The event challenges women, children and men to walk a mile or run a 5K in support of survivors. Participants are encouraged to wear women’s shoes for the walk, running shoes for the run, and anything red.
• 6 p.m. Friday, May 6.
• Haskell Memorial Stadium, 23rd Street and Barker Avenue.
• $25 in advance and includes T-shirt; $30 at event.
• Want men’s-sized red pumps? Contact Bernie Fatla of Le Dame Footwear at 800-604-1218, Ext. 2 or email@example.com.
• Prizes for highest pledge individual, highest pledge team, most creative red shoe, and 5K age divisions.
• For more information, call 331-2034, Ext. 105, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The event aims to raise awareness of domestic violence in the Douglas, Franklin and Jefferson counties. Proceeds will help fund the maintenance and programming of Willow’s Safe Shelter, which costs about $1,332 per day to operate.
The center serves about 1,500 survivors of domestic violence each year.