Ask that man why he's sporting a mustache
- on November 3, 2011
Have you seen more men who normally are clean shaven suddenly growing a mustache?
If so, it might be because of Movember, a movement to raise awareness of men's health.
The Movember movement reports:
• The average life expectancy for men is five years less than women (77 years old compared to 82).
• 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime.
• An estimated 13 million adult men over the age of 20 in the US have diabetes — and a third do not know it.
• Only 1 in 8 men who suffer from mental illness actually seek help.
• Four times as many men commit suicide compared with women.
Yes, too many men don't take care of themselves and may need a push to get started. Movember enthusiasts suggest men:
• Have an annual physical
• Not smoke
• Eat a heart-healthy diet
• Stay at a healthy weight
• Manage your stress
• Drink alcohol in moderation
• Know your family health history
So, men, are you growing a Movember mustache? How about making a doctor's appointment?